Calculating Pharmaceutical Unit Cost:
RXTransparent is pioneering the practice of calculating the cost of Pharmaceutical drugs at a unit dose level through it’s innovative use of algorithms and it’s Corpharma database platform. The following is a breakdown RXTransparent’s unit cost algorithm in practice:
- Each $400 box contains 4 vials/ 25 mcg/ mL.
- Each vial of 25 mcg/ mL breaks down to $100 per vial.
- Each mcg/ mL breaks down to $4 per dose.
- If the actual dosing order is less than the vial’s capacity, it produces a waste that can be calculated by unit dose.
- Many times the unit dose reimbursement costs are lower than the actual purchase unit cost which contributes to the overall loss of the corresponding administered drug.